My secret to how you can work an 11-hour workweek is simple.
However, it may not be what you think!
The secret is not to try and manage the amount of time
you have in a day but to manage the way you think and what you spend your time on.
Grit books often refer to this as your “instinct”—the power to know what to focus on and when.
For instance, my baby Zack is important to me.
I want to be present enough to see how he develops and changes. Last night we sat and cuddled on the couch. I watched a movie with him in my arms, and every time I looked down, he was studying me. What’s mommy doing? The last message that I want to give him is that I am too busy for him. This requires me to manage my thoughts much more closely.
What do thoughts have to do with it?
#1 Your thoughts stress you out of freedom.
They are also the precursor to every action-step you take, like how you make money!
#2 Your power to getting sh*t done comes from
being intimately aware of everything you are doing. If it takes you an hour to write a blog post, something is wrong with your strategy, and you better find another way to get that task done.
Another example: You could dictate your blog post in 6 minutes. Then hire a schoolteacher off of HireMyMom.com and have her write up your dictated blog post every week for about $100 a month. That would save you time to spend with your kids or on things more important.
My point is, the amount of TIME you have is relative to your strategy.
I am a HUGE cheerleader for working hard.
You don’t get to have financial freedom unless you can walk through the hard moments.
However, you do not have to give up the meaningful things in your life.
Start looking for new ways to get the job done,
and stop being so determined that you have to do everything yourself.
Otherwise, it’s your own fault for missing out on life’s important moments.
It has nothing to do with being a business owner. It has to do with you and the way you think!
Here are my suggestions for making more time in your life:
• Write down everything in your business that is taking too much time from your life
• Decide how and who you are going to delegate these tasks to
• Change the way you think, and let go of future tasks until it’s time to work on them
• Know WHY you want your time back, and make sure it’s a BIG enough desire
• Be willing to work REALLY HARD on sales and let go of admin responsibilities
• Fire people that are not supporting you, and set higher standards
• Stop thinking your staff is doing you a favor
• On the flip side, be kind to the people around you and generous with your staff
• Be masterful of the tasks you are responsible for (which should be a SMALL list)
• Schedule time off weekly with no computers, and turn your cell phone off
• Train your clients so they know when you are off, and hold that boundary
• Plan FUN days into your month and try out new activities (this will grow your creativity)
• Get physically active; it sharpens the mind
• Decide what days during the week are workdays, and leave a lot of your calendar FREE of appointments
Most of all, get a life outside of work!
It’ll help you make more money and have a quality of life that money can’t buy. However, when you have an overflow of money, you’ll be used to having a life and that’ll be even more fun!
Good luck, and leave me a comment below.
CEO HeartCore Business